Since what constitutes a scandal is open to debate (and since he's hanging over my shoulder insisting I let him participate in the creation of this list) I've decided to ask Chris to help me out with this post.
So, without further ado, and in no particular order, our take on the 10 biggest scandals of the 80s.
- Iran Contra - In which President Reagan, who refused to make deals with terrorists, made deals with terrorists.
- Savings and Loan scandal - Ronald Reagan promised deregulation. He delivered. His buddies got the prime rib. Middle America got the bill.
- Gary Hart - Did he really mess around on a boat called "Monkey Business"? Yes he did.
- Challenger - The engineers said 'don't launch' but hey, what do engineers know?
- Milli Vanilli caught lip synching - Can you imagine if people still cared whether singers actually sing "in concert". Most of todays "artists" would be back serving burgers where they belong.
- Pete Rose banned for life for betting - Does betting mean he didn't have 590,000 hits?
- Marvin Hagler robbed of his title - A champion only loses if he's beaten, unless the opponent is more photogenic.
- Ben Johnson stripped of gold after testing positive for steroids - Uh, okay. And FloJo?
- Vanessa Williams stripped of Miss America title - Poses nude, loses MA title, gains real fame and lasting success.
- Just about any televangelist and any big haired trailer park floozy.
So there you have it. Our 10 biggest scandals of the 80s. Feel free to add your 2 cents. Say goodnight Chris.
Chris: "Goodnight. Go Bruins!"