A movie so big it had to be filmed in color!

The Naked Gun arrived in theaters in 1988 and became the standard by which I judged all other comedy. Leslie Nielsen redefined the term 'straight man', taking it to such deliriously absurd heights I thought I was going to throw up I laughed so hard.

Frank (Leslie Nielsen) to Jane (Priscilla Presley):
"Jane, since I've met you, I've noticed things that I never knew were there before... birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights."

I've seen it probably a dozen times since and it still makes me laugh out loud. Credit has to be given to the producers, the supporting cast (George Kennedy take a bow) and especially the writers, but without Leslie Nielsen I don't think this boat floats. He's the glue that holds the whole improbable thing together. His comic timing was peerless and he always knew exactly what the character required.

Two more Naked Gun movies were made after this and there were rumors for years of a fourth which never materialized.

RIP Leslie Nielsen

Naked Gun - trailer